Monday, September 05, 2005

Simplistic Reaction Time

How much can I one person take? How much before the system overloads?

The full impact and fury of hurricane Katrina still has yet to be felt, but so many people -- good, decent people -- are filled with such a rage.

Citizens all over Maryland -- and probably the entire nation -- want to help those people whose lives have been utterly destroyed by the storm. The first reaction is one of a helping hand -- to contribute money, clothing, food, whatever they have to spare -- in hopes of restoring some sort of faith in those victims that they are not alone.

However, despite what people believe, support groups and supply convoys simply do not spring up like magic. They take time, logistical support and careful planning. Otherwise, in trying to aid and bring comfort, the efforts end up adding to the chaos.

So people waited.

Yet, the images and stories of the people crushed by the hurricane continue to pour in.

So the waiting turns to frustration.

Here is where the finger pointing and blame game starts. Someone must be responsible for this, they believe. Some group or leader must be held accountable.

But, natural forces of our planet created this situation. People wrote in asking why a nuclear device couldn't be dropped in the middle of the hurricane to disperse it. Why can't we stop a storm or, at the very least, deflect it?

You may as well ask the sun to stop rising. But no one or no group is to blame for the monumental and daunting task of helping those who need it.

People wanted to know why the military couldn't be airdropped in, or why food and water couldn't come from supply packages that were dropped. In that type of environment, only the strongest would survive and those who needed it most wouldn't get it.

This confluence of events -- a powerful storm striking an area that is not only below sea level, but also flattening the most impoverished areas of those cities -- could not have been planned for. Despite all the warnings and "mandatory" evacuations, there were thousands of people who -- for what ever reason -- could not or did not flee.

It is easy to sit in the comfort of our homes hundreds of miles away and armchair quarterback. It is not easy to sit in those same homes and see the images and stories of what is happening down to our brothers and sisters to the south.

And to those of you who try to play the race card, I feel sorry for you -- and more is the pity that those thoughts would cross your minds in this time when togetherness is sometimes the only hope for those people who need it most.

How much can I one person take? How much before the system overloads?

Hopefully, you'll never know.

I have stayed away from the pictures as much as I can. It is probably a comfort that I've been out of it for the past week. I know where my limit is and this is not a time to find out if I can push it. And whatever contributions you can or cannot make to the relief effort, know this -- there is no need for guilt if you know you have done all you can. Every bit helps and everyone -- whether with money, goods, time, effort, or just thoughts -- should help. "Instant Karma's gonna get you/Gonna knock you off your feet/Better recognize your brothers/Ev'ryone you meet/Why in the world are we here/Surely not to live in pain and fear/Why on earth are you there/When you're ev'rywhere/Come and get your share"

Touch 'em all with me, whether you agree with me or criticize me. I like the way you think! Tell me your opinion. Add a comment below and tell me what you think or write to me if you want to join the ever-growing e-mail list to have my column delivered right to your inbox.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't have to agree with everything you say but will defend your right to say it.

Much love

Larry said...

and isn't that what its all about anyway?

Kyleen said...

Nice Lennon quote. I just wish there was more we could do. I know a lot of people are doing all they can but as you know it's just hard to sit here and not really be able to do anything.

One thing though, remember on 9/11 and the following weeks how people were lined up around the blocks trying to donate blood? How come they aren't doing that now? I know they need it down there. It's just odd to me thats all.

Anonymous said...

While I hate to think race had anything to do with the delayed response, I can certainly see how many would come to that conclusion. Race as well as poverty and age certainly appeared to be factors. And, it is certainly near impossible to keep race out of it when the media and government refer to people of color as looters when they were looking for food, clothing and things needed simply to survive. That's not to say that some {a relatively small percentage of those displaced} did not continue to engage in criminal behavior just as they were prior to the hurricane. After all, they have criminals in Louisiana just as we do in Baltimore. When does a crinimal not think in criminal behavior? Do I think the President and other officials all sat around and decided not to do anything? No, I don't. However, it is clear to me that too much ineptitude, disorganization, and lack of urgency contributed to the devastation and hurt our neighbors in the Gulf Coast region were reeling from.