Monday, May 16, 2005

It Doesn't Have To Be An Idiot Box

I like my job in news. I like knowing what's going on before anyone else.

I also like taking on the responsibility of passing along that information as accurately and quickly as possible to the general public. So, it pains me greatly when others in my business take liberties and erode the trust that I've worked so hard to build up.

Because, just like politicians, the all members of the press get painted with the same brush when something goes wrong.

Two separate stories this week brought the media fully into the spotlight.

In Los Angeles (land of the highway chase), helicopters are routinely used to follow high-speed -- and sometimes, high drama -- police chases live as they happen. Yes, the number of viewers rises and, most of the time, it makes for interesting television.

This time, the bad guy pulled into a parking lot and jumped out of his vehicle with a weapon in his hand. Surrounded by police, the suspect stumbled, dropped his weapon -- then reached in his pocket and pulled out another weapon.

With cameras zoomed in on the suspect, police opened fire and killed the man -- on live television.

Recently, Newsweek magazine published an article claiming that interrogators at Guantanamo Bay flushed a Quran down the toilet to get inmates to talk. The story allegedly triggered riots in Afghanistan that ended in the deaths of 15 people.

In their explanation of the article, Newsweek said they used one source for the accusation and did not get confirmation on the flushing aspect of the story. But they published anyway "because a U.S. official said government investigators turned up this evidence."

Later, a Pentagon spokesman said they investigated the desecration charges and found them "not credible." Newsweek's original source also began backtracking about the alleged Quran incident.

It all comes down to the weighty responsibility we in the media have to provide accurate information and not sensationalize the news that is out there. I can't tell you how many e-mails from viewers I see about how the media is liberal, conservative, bias, slanted, you name it.

Everyone has an opinion and as long as people continue to accuse us of being on both ends of the spectrum, I guess we are doing a good job. I just wish others in my business would take the same tact as I do -- investigate, discover, verify, analyze and report.

Not every man in a speeding car needs to be on the air. And the need to be first doesn't have to take precedent.

Yeah, I wear a "J" on my chest -- and proud of it. I'm not saying I'm better at it that others. But I do think people in the news should reflect on the history -- and history makers -- of our industry. It would be a very intersting lesson indeed. Speaking of history, the "last" Star Wars opens this week. If anyone has a spare ticket...? "Yeah, and they'll probably kill it to death." (Thanks, Amy)

Touch 'em all with me, whether you agree with me or criticize me. I like the way you think! Tell me your opinion. Add a comment below and tell me what you think or write to me if you want to join the ever-growing e-mail list to have my column delivered right to your inbox.

No comments: