Monday, February 14, 2005

The Cure Or The Disease?

Is the cure worse than the disease?

I'm taking medicine to treat a condition I have. One of the things the doctor told me about was the possible side effects. By taking this medicine at this particular dosage, I am putting my liver at risk.

The alternative is to allow my condition to roll merrily along and risk a serious heart incident -- I never use the word "attack".

So I keep taking the medicine and try to pay attention to the warning signs about possible liver damage. So far, everything is cooperating and my body is healthy, but it is quite the quandary.

I wonder if the Baltimore City government is going through the dilemma. A recent report showed that the city posted the bloodiest January since 1973. Thirty-two people were killed in the city during that month and 6 others were killed in early February.

Of those victims, 90 percent had criminal records and nearly 70 percent had been arrested for violent crimes. As health commissioner Dr. Peter Beilenson told The New York Times, "Baltimore is actually a very safe city if you are not involved in the drug trade."

When I shared this statistic with some friends, one of them said the numbers pleased them. By their rationalization, they said the police should let the bad guys knock each other off and there will be less crime all around.

The reactionary in me leaned toward agreeing with my friend. Anything to reduce crime and danger has to be good for us law-abiding citizens, right?

The scientist in me finds all kinds of flaws with the argument. As many downtown Baltimore homeowners can attest to, when you move bad guys out of one neighborhood, there are others who are willing and ready to step into the void.

One colleague of mine who lives in Federal Hill said he wouldn't mind if the police sectioned off the town and imposed "a kind of martial law" to get all the criminals out of his neighborhood. That seems to be an argument about personal freedoms versus security.

Baltimore City Mayor Martin O'Malley has been trying to reduce the number of homicides and the incidents of crime in the city since he was elected in 1999. The paradox of statistics shows that while the murder rate has been creeping back up in the past few years, officials said the overall crime rate is falling.

But the bigger problem with rising homicides is the act of revenge and grudges. As Beilenson told The Times, "Violence is very personal, because everyone knows everyone else or is a relative. If you shoot someone, the retribution will be fast and sure."

It is very cyclical and it is a cycle that needs to be broken. Whether the police can step in and stop the "personal" violence is difficult to say. They are trying with increase patrols and crackdowns in the most dangerous neighborhoods.

What is not acceptable is to allow the bad guys to kill each other off. This is not a guerrilla war, but there is collateral damage as doctors report people who are shot in the crossfire of bullets are victims who have nothing to do with the crime surrounding them.

I have lived in and around Baltimore for the last 7 years and spend nearly 14 years in Maryland before that. This is a proud and historic city with many vibrant neighborhoods and history that stretches back to the founding of our great nation.

I have never felt unsafe in my time here. I pay attention to my surroundings and don't put myself in bad situations.

The city needs to find a way to convince everyone -- good guys and bad guys -- that the bullets and blood mentality of some of our citizens needs to stop.

For the safety of everyone.

Happy Valentine's Day. Did you remember to get your sweetie something? I argue with people about virtual gifts. Virtual gifts and e-cards are a very nice way to let someone special know that you are thinking about them. However, if your special someone isn't tecno-savvy, you are signing your own "doghouse" card. Gifts should be personalized and make sense for the recipient, not the giver. Or you can do like I did and give a tech gift. I'll convert her yet. "For if I hold my tongue I'll never lose my voice"

Touch 'em all with me, whether you agree with me or criticize me. I like the way you think! Tell me your opinion. Write to me at lfrum@ibsys.com and tell me what you think or if you want to join the ever-growing e-mail list to have my column delivered right to your inbox.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Valentines Day causes many things to double in price. The idea is nice, but who can really afford it. Ill spend this holiday with my friends and a movie, since there is no sweety in my life.

BTW- nice refernce to Barenaked Ladies!!! You rock!

Larry said...

Too true about the price thing. Flowers and candy seem like they double or triple. It could be holiday illusion, but it still seems like a lot. And I didn't think anyone would figure out the BNL reference!

BTW - your poems are dark, sad, meaningful and very cool.

Anonymous said...

For the guys, candy and flowers are expensive. How about breakfast in bed, a special lunch that you have prepared (or ordered delivered). For the ladies, how about taking out the garbabe or getting the oil changed in his vehicle.

Michele said...

when i lived with my ex, i took out the garbage alot, beacuase he bitched that he was too tired after work. I mean, when we were together i worked two jobs, and made sure the place was clean. maybe its just me, but maybe the men need to take time out of their video games and stop taking their women for granted.