Monday, July 11, 2005

Too Much Support?

This past weekend, I ran only the second race ever in my adult life -- and I didn't even run it because I wanted to.

My wife, Kim, is in training for a marathon -- her first. This is the same woman who has recovered from knee surgery -- three of them.

She has been very good about doing things the right way. She got new running shoes. She's been talking to runners for tips and reading books for insight.

Her training has been going well. Over the past few weeks, she's been doing her long runs along a trail that I can rollerblade so it can be a joint venture.

Up front: I hate running for running's sake. I get bored too easily with the thought of running without chasing a ball or someone. I can do 90 feet or 100 yards or 94 feet (baseball, football, basketball) without any trouble.

I just can't mentally do it. I'm weak.

However, I will support her efforts to run a marathon in any way possible. And this time, I decided I would run with her in her first race -- a 5K race in Gettysburg, Pa.

Five kilometers translates to about 3.1 miles. I can do that. I've done it before, which is where I found out how boring running really is to me.

But for Kim, I can converse and encourage. She set out to run a 12-minute mile and her final pace ended up being 11:57 per mile.

I was very proud of her to overcome not only three knee surgeries, but her own doubts as well. She's well on her way to running in her marathon.

Now, she wants to run in a 10K race in about 4 months. And now, I'm torn.

Part of me wants to get myself ready to run with her. Physically, I think I can do it, but then again, I'm not sure if this isn't something she wants -- and should -- tackle on her own.

This is her glory and her time. In wanting to be the support team, do I do what she does or do I just stand on the sidelines and let her have the spotlight?

Even if I was to run at her side, this is her conquest. I'm just glad to be the sidekick. She is doing something very special and something I would never consider.

I just don't know what to do now.

I did marathon support for a very good friend of mine several years ago. As part of her support team, I joined her on the course around the 10-mile mark and stayed with her until the end. But I was on a bike carrying liquids and medications -- she was running on bad wheels. And she did it. As she wrote to me later, she said I was her "guardian angel on the course, never passing judgment, but knowing I would never let her fail." Failure is only if you don't try. I like strong women, can you tell? "'Stay away,' meaning do not approach the vicinity of. 'Do not enter,' meaning stay out, which should not arise if you saw 'stay away.'"

Touch 'em all with me, whether you agree with me or criticize me. I like the way you think! Tell me your opinion. Add a comment below and tell me what you think or write to me if you want to join the ever-growing e-mail list to have my column delivered right to your inbox.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry ~ Ask her what she wants you to do. Maybe she would like you to join her later in the race. Knowing that you are cheering her or might be all the the support she needs to tackle this on her own.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so proud and happy you reached your goal -- AND SHAVED OFF 3 SECONDS FROM IT!!!!!!!!!!

Beat the old dawg into stride, you're the one with the new knees. :)

Larry's minion

Anonymous said...

I think you should let her lead you in what to do. You could always rollerblade along, couldn't you?
Tell Kim we are very proud of her too.

Mom and Dad and Jasmine

Anonymous said...

I think you should ask Kim what she would like you to do. She knows running is not your thing, but having your support is that little push in the middle of her back she gets when she needs it most. If she needs you to run it with her, maybe you should meet her at the three mile mark and finish with her. She'll need you most at the end. Eventually it's a race she has to run on her own. Mentally and physically . Just knowing you're out there waiting to jump in makes the steps go by a little faster.
Tell her about the gummy savers and the watered down Ultra Fuel. I wish her the best and have no doubts she'll accomplish it. It doesn't matter how fast you go just as long as you finish. I'm living proof of that the second time. By the way, I never would have finished either marathon without you.